How to keep your skin looking fabulous during winter
With temperatures plunging (according to the news the weather is set to turn Arctic) your skin may not be in it’s best shape. I have lots of Winter weddings booked this year, so have been giving out lots of advice on how to keep your skin glowing in the cold. I wanted to share my best tips here with you on the blog! Whether you are getting married over the Winter months or not, these tips will keep your skin looking and feeling happy when it is freezing outside.
- The obvious, drink lots of water! Most of us are not hydrated enough. Your skin will show signs of dehydration including fine lines, loss of elasticity, flakiness, and dullness. Drinking at least 2 litres of water a day will keep you hydrated from the inside out. Fancy a hot drink? Skip the tea and coffee as caffeine can add to the dehydration and try a fruity or herbal tea, or even good old hot water with lemon which has fabulous detox benefits
- Use a facial oil. I recommend this to all of my clients. My favourite facial oil, which is a little fountain of youth by the way, is Squalane Oil. Squalane oil naturally occurs in the skin, but diminishes as we get older. There are many squalane oils on the market, my favourite is The Ordinary 100% plant-derived squalane. They also do versions that contain Retinol if you want an extra anti-wrinkle punch. Apply a few drops at night after cleansing and toning. It absorbs quickly and can even be used around the eye area. It doesn’t leave an oily residue, and you can apply your moisturiser on top. Suitable for all skin types, even oily or spot-prone complexions.
- Moisturise AM and PM. Again, another obvious instruction that we all seem to skip. I myself am guilty of only hitting the cream in the morning! My best advice is to find a cream that you can use both morning and night and keep it by your bedside so you don’t forget. Make sure you are moisturising your neck as well! Embryolisse Lait-Creme Concentrate is one of my faves in my kit. It suits most skins, is fragrance free and deeply hydrating. You can use it on the face and body. It is a hard working multi-tasker as you can slather it on as a deep hydrating mask or use it to remove makeup.
- Don’t forget your peepers! Dryness and dehydration can really play havoc with the under eye area, and it is the first area that fine lines will appear. Apply a thin layer of eye cream AM and PM to protect this area and keep it smooth and supple. I love Charlotte Tilbury Magic Eye Cream. You can see it instantly smooth and brighten your eyes!
- There is skin all over your body, not just your face! Be sure to treat it just as well as the skin you can see. Chances are, you will be seeing your arms, shoulders, and decolletage when you are in your wedding dress! After a bath or shower, apply your favourite body cream all over, and pay special attention to your elbows and knees. I adore Korres Body Butters, they are rich, made with all natural ingredients, and smell divine.
- Be kind to your hands. Our hands are exposed to the elements pretty much 24/7 and are constantly being exposed to detergents and hot water. Carry hand cream with you and use it frequently! No one wants to see dry chapped hands when you are showing off your new wedding ring. Aveda Hand Relief is one of the best hand creams I have ever used. It smells gorgeous, and you can feel the protection it gives to your hands for hours.
- Keep your lips as kissable as possible. Can you make it through the winter without getting chapped lips? Yes, of course you can! Keep the flakes away by using Lush Lip Scrubs, which come in many different flavours including CHOCOLATE! Follow with a swipe of lip balm. I love Dr. Paw Paw Balm, which can be used on the lips or any where there is flaky skin. It eliminates dry cracked skin quickly. Make sure you are applying lip balm every night before bed to wake up with perfect kissable lips in the morning!
I hope my advice has been helpful to keep your skin looking amazing this winter! All of these are applicable to both brides and grooms, as all of the products I have recommended suit everyone. Tag your wedding party as well! Everyone will want to look their best for your big day!
Have a pressing beauty issue you want me to tackle? Email me email@example.com or comment below and I will answer it in an upcoming article.
Mobile wedding make-up artist and hair stylist covering Liverpool, Wirral, Cheshire, Lancashire, St Helens, Widnes. Fresh, natural, radiant bridal make-up in your home or chosen venue.
Liverpool Wedding Make-up Artist