Bringing People Together – Little Wicker Picnics
Looking for something a little different to entertain the kids during weddings?
Little Wicker Picnics is a small catering business that specialises in picnic-style food and is based in Warrington. We cater for a variety of events including: kids birthday parties, corporate events, and of course weddings. We do our best to use packaging that is eco-friendly, choosing reusable materials such as glass jars, and more eco-friendly materials such as Vegware (strong like plastic but made from plants, not fossil fuels), palm leaf plates and wooden cutlery. We are a family run business and our mission is to bring people together one picnic at a time!
The concept for the business grew organically and was inspired after my husband and I catered our own indoor wedding picnic in 2016. We wanted our wedding to be a celebration of who we are as people and felt that a silver service wedding breakfast was too formal, but we didn’t like the idea of queuing for a buffet either. So, after much thought, we came up with the idea to put rustic crates in the middle of our tables and fill it will a variety of lovely produce. Our guests loved the laid-back vibe and felt they could just be themselves. Picnics certainly have a way of bringing people together and they encourage easy conversation.Entertain the little ones at weddings with the cutest picnic baskets! Click To Tweet
Months after we were married, I couldn’t stop thinking about picnic food and beautiful packaging. I wanted to cook and bake and make parcels of yumminess for other people to enjoy. Once I realised this, I knew it was time to set up my own catering business which I did in early 2017. Since then my little business has grown from strength to strength and I am really pleased to say that Warrington Council saw fit to award Little Wicker Picnics with a 5* food hygiene rating — the highest a business can receive.
Our wedding menu
We offer a variety of options for couples looking to have a more informal wedding breakfast including our rustic ‘Picnic Sharing Crates’ which are filled with delicious fresh baked bread, hand carved meat, cheese, crackers, a variety of savoury snacks, gorgeous salads, scones, strawberries, brownies, and more! These crates are placed right in the centre of your tables (or your picnic blanket if you’ve decided to brave the weather!) ready for you and your guests to tuck in and enjoy. And don’t worry about the children, we’ve got that covered; – each child can sit down to their own little wicker hamper filled with yummy food. We even include a little activity book and crayons to help get them through the speeches!
A closer look at our kids’ menu
Children can find certain flavours or textures challenging which is why picnic food works so well. The variety of yummy food allows children the opportunity to eat what they want to eat in a relaxed environment. And of course, Little Wicker Picnics is happy to adapt the menu and, where possible, the recipes to cater for any special dietary requirements. Inside our standard child’s hamper, you can expect to find:
- A personalised menu & food labels to match your wedding theme & colour scheme.
- Activity book and crayons
- Napkin & wooden cutlery
- Grazing box – selection of cheese and crackers, sliced seedless grapes, mini Melton Mowbray pork pie, cocktail sausages, carrot sticks, cucumber & a pot of houmous.
- Soft roll with a choice of fillings
- Pom Bear crisps
- Small cake jar (strawberry & vanilla, or chocolate)
Top tips for keeping the little people happy
Keeping children quiet at the right times and well behaved throughout the day can be challenging for any parent but ultimately it is the parent’s responsibility and not that of the bride and groom. However, there are many things that the bride and groom can do to help manage the experience for all their guests and here are a few of my top tips:
- Be proactive – the average child will not have the attention span needed to stay quiet throughout a full ceremony (or the speeches) but that does not mean that their behaviour cannot be managed. Why not encourage parents to bring along quiet entertainment to help them stay seated and happy? This could be a favourite book, fidget spinner, mp3 player or tablet with ear phones. You can let them know on the invitations or just send them an e-mail.
- Keep children fed and watered – let parents know that it’s OK to take snacks and juice for their children into the ceremony. We all get ‘hangry’ sometimes, and due to the timing of ceremonies little people might have missed their usual meal. Yes – opening food packets might create a little bit of noise, but I promise that it will create less noise than a hungry miserable child.
- Remind parents that it’s OK to step outside – arrange for the ushers or Best Man to remind parents that it’s OK to leave the ceremony if their children are restless. This seems obvious, but I think some people are genuinely worried that they might be seen as rude for leaving their seats.
- Involve children – making children feel important by giving them a job can work wonders. There are lots of ways to include children. For example, you could arrange for them to hand out order of service booklets, boxes of confetti or bottles of bubbles. You can give an older child a list of people required for photographs and they can be responsible for bringing the right groups of people to the photographer.
- Plan activities – If the wedding budget allows, a creche for the children or a bouncy castle can take the pressure off and allow guests time to relax and enjoy the day. But even on a smaller budget there are lots of fun things that brides and grooms can organise. Garden games, for example, are a brilliant way to keep children entertained. There are so many different games to choose from including giant Connect 4, giant Jenga, skittles, croquette and more! After the first dance is done why not dedicate a song to all the children and let them have a dance off? Of course, activity books, bubbles and eye spy are great ways to keep little people happy too.
Fab advice Michelle! We loved getting to know more about your picnics!